Diabetes Mellitus refers to a group of metabolic disorders. Patients experience high blood sugar levels over a prolonged period. Symptoms of high blood sugar include frequent urination, increased thirst and hunger. There are 2 types of Diabetes – Type 1 and Type 2. With Type 1 Diabetes, your body does not make insulin. With Type 2 Diabetes, the more common type, your body does not produce enough or use insulin well. Without enough insulin, the glucose stays in your blood. If left untreated, Diabetes may lead to many complications, such as:
1.Cardiovascular disease: This includes Coronary Heart Disease, chest pain, heart attack and stroke.
2. Neuropathy: This includes numbness, burning or painful sensation from the toes upwards.
3. Nephropathy: Diabetes damages the delicate filtering mechanism present in the kidneys. Severe damage may lead to irreversible kidney failure.
4. Retinopathy: Diabetes damages the blood vessels in the retina potentially leading to complete blindness. It also increases the risk of Cataracts and Glaucoma.
5. Foot damage: Nerve damage caused by Diabetes leads to poor blood flow to the feet. Cuts and blisters initially appear. The infection may lead to complete amputation.
6. Hearing impairment: Hearing problem is commonly found among Diabetes patients.
7. Alzheimer’s disease: The more unstable your blood sugar, the greater is the risk of Alzheimer’s.
8. Sexual Inadequacy: Suffering from the disease for a long time may lead to Loss of sexual desire, Erectile Dysfunction, Premature Ejaculation and many other sexual disorders.
There is no oral medication presently available in any medical system to control Type-1 Diabetes. Insulin injection is the only solution for this. However, for Type 2 Diabetes, good results have been achieved through a unique combination of Fundamentals of Ayurveda, Unani and Therapeutic Yoga which is completely safe and natural. Various complications arising due to both Type 1 and Type 2 Diabetes are effectively treated through these three systems without any adverse effect.